When St Jude’s Church was first built in 1859, ‘a lady’ presented it with a Scudamore organ, very possibly even smaller than the Scudamore organ still remaining in the Village Centre, the former Methodist church, in Victoria Street. It was mounted on the chancel wall; it is still possible to see the marks on the stonework of the chancel arch. This was replaced by a larger instrument in 1872, built by Bevington & Sons, and installed where the present instrument is in a chamber (previously a gallery) under the tower. This in turn was replaced in 1935 by the present instrument, a organ by J.W. Walker & Sons thought to have been built originally around 1900.
The pipework of our Walker organ remained essentially untouched until 1999, when the organ was rebuilt by Robin J. S. Rust, of Farnborough, who replaced the Great 8ʹ and 4ʹ Diapasons, added the Great Dulciana, converted the old Great 8ʹ Diapason to a Pedal Principal and 15th, and also added the 16ʹ-8ʹ-4ʹ Great Trumpet.
The pipework of our Walker organ remained essentially untouched until 1999, when the organ was rebuilt by Robin J. S. Rust, of Farnborough, who replaced the Great 8ʹ and 4ʹ Diapasons, added the Great Dulciana, converted the old Great 8ʹ Diapason to a Pedal Principal and 15th, and also added the 16ʹ-8ʹ-4ʹ Great Trumpet.
|
Great
8ʹ Open Diapason 8ʹ Wald Flute 8ʹ Dulciana 4ʹ Principal 4ʹ Harmonic Flute 2ʹ Fifteenth Mixture II ranks 8ʹ Trumpet 4ʹ Clarion [from 8ʹ Trumpet] Sw/Gt |
Swell
16ʹ Double Diapason 8ʹ Open Diapason 8ʹ Stopped Diapason 8ʹ Viola da Gamba 8ʹ Voix Celeste T.C. 4ʹ Principal 2⅔ʹ Twelfth 2ʹ Fifteenth 16ʹ Contra Fagotto 8ʹ Oboe 8ʹ Horn 8ʹ Great Trumpet 4ʹ Great Clarion Sub Octave Unison off Octave Tremulant |
Pedal
32ʹ Sub Bourdon 16ʹ Bourdon 16ʹ Lieblich Bourdon 8ʹ Principal 8ʹ Flute 4ʹ Fifteenth [from 8ʹ Principal] 16ʹ Trombone 16ʹ Fagotto 8ʹ Trumpet [from Great 8ʹ Trumpet] Sw/Ped Gt/Ped |